(Source: Benefits.gov Compass e-Newsletter)
As millions of students across the nation get ready to head back to school, Benefits.gov provides information on government resources to help you prepare.
From school lunches to college grants, our Benefit Finder tool makes it easy to discover helpful programs you may qualify for. Highlighted below are five government programs that can help you and your family start the school year off right.
- The U.S. Department of Education offers a Parent’s Countdown to Success, for guidance on building relationships with your child’s teacher, homework helpers, health and nutrition tips for your kids, and more.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) National School Lunch and Breakfast Programsprovide nutritionally balanced meals to children as a part of their regular school day. Learn more about nutrition programs in your state by visiting the USDA’s Child Nutrition Programs page.
- The Federal Pell Grant Program provides grants to low-income undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students to promote access to postsecondary education. Federal Pell Grants are direct grants awarded through participating institutions to students with financial need who have not received a bachelor’s degree or who are enrolled in qualifying post-baccalaureate programs for teacher certification or licensure.
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid is an application used by virtually all two and four-year colleges, universities, and career schools for awarding Federal, state, and college-funded student aid.
- Federal Work-Study funds part-time employment for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay postsecondary education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to the student’s course of study. The total award depends on when the student applies, the level of need, and the funding level of the school.
Discover Even More Benefits You May Qualify For
You may be eligible for more benefits to help you and your family prepare to go back to school. To find out which ones, take the questionnaire on our Benefit Finder tool to help you determine your eligibility for over 1,200 benefit programs. No matter how you prepare for the upcoming school year, Benefits.gov has information to help you navigate the upcoming school year.