Resource Type:

Service

Provided By:

WACVA-AWU

Phone Number:
(256) 820-6824

The Women’s Army Corps (WAC) Mothers Association was founded during World War II (W.W.II) by some of the mothers of women in the Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) which later became the Women’s Army Corps. The WAC Mothers’ purpose was to help both men and women by serving in hospitals and USO’s, selling bonds, mending clothes, sending comfort packages to the WACs and doing anything they could to make life more comfortable for the men and women serving their country.

Active members of the Women’s Army Corps and Women’s Army Corps Veterans in the Chicago area met under the sponsorship of the WAC Mothers Association in January 1946 to discuss the possibilities of organizing a Women’s Army Corps Veterans’ Association. Definite steps toward organization were taken in the months following and on 14 May 1946, the by-laws of the Chicago Women’s Army Corps Veterans’ Association were drawn up and adopted. The organization was chartered as a general non-profit corporation in the State of Illinois on 26 July 1946. (On 11 May 1951, the Association was incorporated in the District of Columbia.) Learn more via the URL shown in the “Website Address” box above…

Notice: The link provided above connects readers to the full content of the posted article. The URL (internet address) for this link is valid on the posted date; AmacFoundation.org cannot guarantee the duration of the link’s validity. Also, the opinions expressed in these postings are the viewpoints of the original source and are not explicitly endorsed by AMAC, Inc. or the AMAC Foundation, Inc.