Resource Type:


Provided By:

AMAC Foundation

Phone Number:

State: Florida

Zip: 32159

The AMAC Foundation, a Florida-based nonprofit, serves Seniors in a variety of meaningful ways, and our flagship program is our acclaimed “Social Security Advisory Service.” Our staff of trained and accredited professionals provide—free of charge—indispensable assistance to Seniors seeking to navigate the complexities of this vital program. One of the key aspects of this service is the Foundation’s “Ask Rusty” weekly Social Security Q&A news release, published to over 7,000 media outlets across the country in print and audio format.

The “Ask Rusty” publication question addressed in this item:

I have tried to contact Social Security many times but been put on hold for over 40 minutes, received no call back, etc.  Also, I tried to find out online at my S.S. account, but got no answers to my questions so I’m hoping you can help.  I served in the U.S. Navy from March 5, 1951 until December 2, 1954, with an Honorable Discharge for medical reasons.  Looking at my Social Security earnings statement, I never received credit for my earnings while serving in the U.S. Navy in 1952, 1953, and 1954, and for 1951 I only received earnings credit for $120. In the Veterans Administration booklet “Federal Benefits for Veterans Dependents and Survivors” the following paragraph is on page 135:  “non-contributory Social Security earnings of $160 a month may be credited to Veterans who served after Sept.15, 1940 and before 1957, including attendance at service academies”.  Can you check and see whether I should get credit from my military earnings, and if my Social Security check should be $160 more than it is?

Click on the Website Address noted above to read the article.